Thursday, July 7, 2011

The Celtic Family Jewels


 With Manchester City selling their naming rights for their stadium(aren't they loaded enough?), the spectre of Celtic doing the same has again risen on various messageboards. I am well known for being really irked when our ground is referred to as "Parkheed" (equally irked by someone saying "Rangers and Celtic") so I don't think you'll find it hard to figure out where I stand on this issue. The name of the ground is Celtic Park. The original ground on that site was built by volunteers. Why? Because they cared. I know caring about something so much you want to actually help it get on is becoming such an alien concept but this was 100 odd years ago.

In my opinion there are three things not up for sale at Celtic

1) The name

2) The colours

3) The name of the park

I know there are thousands out there who would sell it for the thought of money. What would we do with that money? Let's be honest, the most we'd get is around £5m a year.  You might think "Wow, that will do me" Well we also get that from Nike and how much difference has that made?

Please God someone somewhere reinforce what Celtic is all about, before it is too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.