Thursday, September 15, 2011

Cuban marks out the media

I read an interesting article by Mark Cuban the other day. For those of you who don't know, Mark owns the Dallas Mavericks basketball team, current NBA Champions. An affable guy, he doesn't fit your average CEO image, he's good looking, funny, doesn't wear suits and will give anyone with a great idea a chance.

In his blog http://blogmaverick.com/2011/04/04/whats-the-role-of-media-for-sports-teams/

Mark talks about the role of media in respect of sports teams. I found it interesting because in the blog he outlines that the only media he has no time for is paid internet writers or ones who run websites specifically to generate traffic so to get ads and so on. He explains they are the ones who generate the most bullshit in terms of rumours and nonsense to generate said traffic. He goes on to say that he needs print and TV there as lot of people who use this medium will never use the internet.

The bit that interested me the most though was his admiration for folk, like myself(although he'd probably hate me personally in real life obviously), who do blogs as a labour of love. He explains that a lot of us do them so to get noticed and get paid work so the quality of writing will be higher and the research and feature stuff better. I'd never really thought of that before but then I guess that's why he's a billionaire and I'm not.

It did make me think about those among us who do go looking for hits by trying to generate non stop controversy, their stuff is normally ridiculed and dismissed quite quickly, even by the billionaires it seems.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.