Monday, September 5, 2011

Men like Thomson are the difference

The Scots and the Irish love to romanticise now and again. I do it a lot myself. If ever there was a day to do it, it's today, the 80th anniversary of John Thomson's death. I first was aware of John Thomson's life at a family party when his song was sung, women went quiet, men tried to hide tears. That's the effect that song has on Celtic people. Every time I hear "So play up Glasgow Celtic, stand up and play the game", it reminds me why I continue to support the Celtic" because that is what we have done for 123 years. Without help or favour.

The Bhoys and Ghirls who did the walk from Glasgow to Cardenden epitomise what The Celtic Family are all about. You just expect that from Celtic supporters, that's what we do. Of course, we had the sad but not surprising news that on Saturday night, prior to their arrival, the grave of John Thomson was desecrated. Very few people I know will have been shocked by this, all were sickened.

There is also a play in Glasgow this week remembering the life of Thomson and again that's something doesn't really happen with other clubs, partly down to the romantic aspect of Celtic and the stories there in. If I could be anywhere this week, it would be there.

Of course when I first heard the John Thomson song I was a wee boy, as I grew up I was known for the odd chant now and again and from around 1993 onwards would happily "belt wan oot" at a party. I knew the John Thomson song well and at a party of "Leith Waterworld" employees one night I was asked, near demanded, to sing John Thomson, which I did. I thought about that yesterday, the guy who demanded it was Joe Nevin, brother of Pat.

I wonder if Pat feels romantic today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.