Sunday, May 12, 2013

Come on everybody, let's Baseball



I'm writing this blog to ensure I don't fuck up. You see, I'm writing a short story that will have a Kindle/iPad release on May 30th. There won't be a paper copy. My self imposed deadline is May 15th, so that gives me to Tuesday night to write the other 12,000 words I think it needs.

The irony of this is that I am doing this story because I am lazy. Or I was. I could have done something like climb a hill or walk a long distance but in a naive form of druinken bravado I said "I shall write thee a story" and that was that. The "Thee" in question is The Food Bank of New York. A place I've had dealings with for about seven years now. I like to keep in touch with some places for the day I end up skint, homeless and in need of help (Wait a sec, I did end up skint and homeless in NYC and I never went to them for help, what a dick I am)

Anyway, I volunteered on one of their outreach projects on Christmas day 07 and kind of stayed in touch with a couple of the people there. Those same people got in touch and said "Hey, we are going to be climbing hills and walking long distances, do you want to join in?" and that's where my drunken bravado came in.

Yes, I committed to a 25,000 word short story right at the same time as I sit exams and Celtic win leagues and get to cup finals.

So I sit here now, needing 12,000 words before it goes to @harper1888 and he works his magic.

The story? It's about a New York Mets fan/blogger from Sunnyside, Queens in June of last year. He's a neighbourhood guy with a decidedly average life and, really, the Mets are his life. This day though, June 1st 2012, will change his life forever...(Cue the Tales of The Unexpected music)

I've used a lot of stuff that I knew from NYC and worked closely with @frankiebhoymets for details and the like but I did pour a lot of my own life into it but not in the way I normally do.

So, whilst a Baseball theme, it's got a lot more in it as is my wont.

Anyway, it will be a lot cheaper than one beer at the ball park and all proceeds will go to The Food Bank of New York.

I just need to get the fucking thing finished...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.