Saturday, October 19, 2013

The Asterisk Years-A Thank You

It's been a whirlwind week for me. I was gearing up for a relaxing break when Lulu opened the pre order window and a 20% discount for folk and I had to move quick. Don't get me wrong, it's great, especially when the demand is such that pre-order moves to order and folk get the books quicker than anticipated.

I can't thank enough the people who have bought the book. Any time you raise your head above the parapet, you're going to get plenty people trying to knock it off. Some are up front about it, others are more sneaky, but the end product is always the same. This week has been an exceptional week in that regard.
Indeed I just read a scathing review on Lulu from someone saying the book is rubbish because Rangers were found not guilty of everything. Now, the only thing I can remember Rangers being found not guilty of was the, currently under appeal, "Big Tax Case" and this book is not about that or indeed the EBT scheme, which they were found guilty of using. Of course, the other aspect of the abuse was that it was left on Friday night, before anyone had actually received a book who purchased it this week.

One of the criticisms you get when mentioning Rangers is that you are obsessed by them. This book is about Celtic. The vast majority of the 60,000 words are about Celtic. Plus, most importantly, everything David Murray did was about Celtic.

My mantra is always if you try to please everyone, you'll end up pleasing no one.

The flip side of that is the level of support I get which has staggered me this week. People are great. They see the abuse, they see the side swipes and the digs and the patronising "Aw you've managed to write another book have you, well done" and they counteract it with love and creativity and support. They send pictures to cheer you up, Tweets to show they are standing beside you and constant messages of support behind the scenes which can really dig you out of a dark place at the point where you think there is no light at the end of the tunnel.Abuse comes often when you least expect it but then so does support and let me say to those folk who send out support, three times this week I felt really low. Twice I was made aware of stuff folk were side swiping and then came that Lulu review which you don't rationalise right away but every time I was down, you picked me back up.

Slainte.

I understand I've bombarded Social Media this week with book info and will be giving that a rest for a bit because I know it can piss folk off if they have already bought or indeed if it's not their cup of tea.

Before I sign off, will try and answer a few questions/statements that have came up this week a lot.

-The Kindle release of the book is Halloween

-The Glasgow Book Launch is completely sold out, if your name is not on the list, you won't get in.

-I am not and have never been a "casual"

-My kids are 12 and 4 and my life, not "7 and 3 and he takes nothing to do with them"

-I live in a council house in a block not in a "big fancy house he has spent all his book money on"

-I have not been told by Celtic I am banned, in fact, Celtic are considering selling the book.

And breathe.

Have a good weekend folks, I love you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.