Monday, November 25, 2013

Then there was Edinburgh

Judging by my sore head, strange texts and feeling that I haven't slept in about three weeks I think yesterday went ok. What started as a small, intimate gig for a few friends who couldn't make Glasgow, ended up with a packed out venue with lots and lots of friendly faces and a feeling that makes everything worthwhile.

It had been a busy Saturday with Graham Wilson coming in and then the game but I was pretty fresh on the Sunday whereas Graham, as he always seems to over here, looked like he had just gone ten rounds with Mike Tyson. When we arrived at the bar there were only a couple of folk there and then within five minutes we had filled the place.

That's always a nice feeling.

We packed in for our "private party" as the pub, The Phoenix on Broughton St, called it and there was no messing around as everyone bought their drinks, took their seats and settled in for the show. It was a really enjoyable afternoon with some stories, a few facts and figures and a great Q&A session (which will be out as a pod this week). It was nice to see so many new faces in with the folk who support everything I do. The point in all these things is to get the story out there and I want to thank everyone who came and listened and were respectful throughout.

Before we knew it, four hours had passed and it was all over. These things tend to fly in and this was no different. After this is where I get hazy, the things I remember are Gaffer collapsing in the bar, Chibchenko going tonto about her hatred of The Smiths, a lot of illicit chanting from David Brown and James Wallace, talking Italian to a waitress, Graham dazzling two girls from his homeland, both of us quoting almost every line in The Godfather and The Godfather part 2 and then I am at a blank.

So next and final stop of phase 1 of The Asterisk Years project is Larne on Friday night. I've had lots of eyebrows raised about going there and some even saying I am mad to even think about it. A solid set of Tims await and that's good enough for me.

In the meantime, I fulfilled an ambition yesterday, no not the two yank girls you filthy-minded people, I launched a book in Edinburgh and that means a lot to me.

The fact I did in a pub called The Phoenix and a stones throw from David Murray's local, is thanks to all who came.

Slainte.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.