Sunday, July 19, 2015

The Asterisk Years is back on Kindle

In a week where you get mindless abuse like a meteor shower, what do you do? Open up another platform for it of course.

A quick backstory: The Asterisk Years (Book) was only ever meant to be out for a year exactly. Thinking back, I'm not sure why this was, something about the film standing alone (I think I'd watched an Andy Warhol documentary one night and went a little nuts)

Anyway, once the film came out there was a big demand for the book to come back out and so the paperback one did. I had nothing in mind about Kindle. There have been quite a lot folk asking about it going back on there and then came this week where I was accused, by the dark side, of getting rid of Amazon reviews.

I have never done that and wouldn't even know how to.

Let's talk about reviews, good or bad, I don't read them. People always call bullshit on that but it's true. A bad review will stick in your craw whereas a good review fattens you up and that is a bad place for a writer.

(Huge name drop coming)
I spoke to the brilliant author, David Peace, and he also doesn't read reviews even though his daughter will often say to him "You should see what people are saying about you on Amazon" and that's something I get a lot too.

Listen, if someone wants to constructively criticise anything I do, I've absolutely no problem talking to anyone. Many have been reciprocated on that score. However, if someone wants to batter the keyboard putting a review on Amazon that amounts to "I will do anything I can to stop people buying this book" then the furthest I'll go is to visit them once a week to ensure they haven't hung themselves in their basement. K?

Similarly, I get abuse from Sevco and Rangers(IL) fans almost every day and they will never like me or anything I do. I get that. Plenty of them will part with a few quid so to batter into the keyboard their best shot at it being the last few quid the book makes (The money from them gets evenly split between the Catholic Church, Sinn Fein and HMRC)

As I say though, if folk want to criticise the writing, no problem at all. The Asterisk Years was written as a comparison piece, my life growing up in poverty as a Celtic supporter in Edinburgh against the source material provided about the lives and crimes of those in The Edinburgh Establishment. I completely understand that adds a "Hurry up and get the to good stuff ya bastard" shout (Once, someone drunkenly came up and told me at half time in the League Cup Final against Dundee Utd that the book was shite until the 'guid stuff' started) and it's something I took on board for Anyone but Celtic which has very little autobiographical element in.

Point is this, apart from those who just despise me no matter what I do, the others who focus on the autobiographical element of The Asterisk Years do so because they don't want any focus on the juicy stuff.

The juicy stuff which, much to their chagrin, went onto become a highly successful documentary. I attended every screening and throughout them all there was just one dissenting voice I heard, a guy was outraged that a film had been made rather than all the stuff in it handed over to the MSM. That didn't even come at the screening, it came that night on social media so, again, it's not worth worrying over.

You'll notice a price decrease all over the world, that's due to sales and the ability to do that.

There's also a wee joke on the cover.

In fact, all my books in Kindle have been marked down in price because a new one is coming on September 1st and that will also be cheap and, hopefully, affordable to all.

Finally, I'm going to review what I just wrote:

"Paul Larkin really should stop talking about abuse. If it doesn't bother him then why mention it? Clearly, he is really bothered by it and this ties in with his crap blogs, which I will NEVER click on again and I would urge EVERYONE to be like me"

You can buy The Asterisk Years: The Edinburgh Establishment v Celtic by clicking on this link:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00G1ER1YM?*Version*=1&*entries*=0

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.