Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Scottish Football: An unreal reality

This last week has been a tough one for me, there have been some highs but a few lows too with a little time to take stock. Sitting back and looking at the big picture is often the last thing folk do but often the most important. I wish everyone in Scottish football would do that now and again.

On Saturday, whilst in the Highlands, I learned of Hibs return to the top flight. A club who were badly mismanaged by Rod Petrie, though did stick to the rules, were out the top league far too long and will be a welcome addition. The thing I need to point out here is that whilst we all know they were guided by Neil Lennon, the question is: Why? This is a guy who guided Celtic to three league Championships in a row, a Scottish Cup and the last 16 of the Champions League. So why were Hibs, a Championship club then, the only club in Scotland that were interested in employing him?

Then came Sunday and THAT refereeing decision. As more people have seen and read Anyone but Celtic I have became a bit of "go to" guy regarding referee decisions. Aside from those people who loathe themselves more than anything it seems, folk were going absolutely ballistic and rightly so. I even had folk tell me that Don Robertson is a Celtic fan (Kenny Clark claimed to be too) but all that misses the big picture which is he and his linesman both agreed that a dive, the whole ground seen instantly, was a penalty. This added to the upsurge of ABC decisions as Celtic remain unbeaten and surge towards a treble. Why do we keep putting up with this?

Then tonight we find out that EBT McCann is the new Dundee manager. Where do you begin with that one? We know there is a desperation among some to keep employing EBT recipients (I wonder why...) but this takes it to a whole new level.

I've heard and read folk say it keeps him off our screens and this is a good thing. Who will his wee mate Tanner joust with now though? Tanner was actually on my train home on Sunday (although he sat in first class). As we both got off at Haymarket I knew already that he had tried to justify the Ross County "penalty" on TV so I asked him "How can you try to justify that Ross County 'penalty'?" He looked at me a bit startled and said "Ach, big picture, it doesn't matter does it?"

Sure David, sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.